Chocolate, hot tea, new clothes, nice food, jewerly and all the other "typical" material gifts that others want are nice and I enjoy them, but they're not the best gifts in the world for me. The greatest gifts for me are friends/family and nature. And God knows that.
It's so beautiful how our Father wants to give us gifts. Every day He gives us the gift of life and many little and big gifts that we aren't even aware of. And then there are extraordinary gifts that we cannot not notice. Every time God gives me such a gift I feel overwhelmed by His love for me. I mean, it truly is amazing that the Creator of the universe cares about giving me joy in all the moments He knows I need it most. He has done so many times in the last half year or so.
Last summer I deeply wished to go to Italy to see the country and friends whom I love who I had not seen in three years. I wanted to see them again before leaving to go back to the States, but I was pretty sure that it was not going to happen because I had no money. Well, God knew how much I wanted to go and He also knew that though I kept praying that it would be possible, I kind of had given up. And yet he surprised me by making it possible! My parents raised the money for me to go and gave it to me at my 21st birthday party. It was a wonderful gift =) And it was so good for my heart and soul to be back in the country I had grown up in, to experience the culture that I had once called my own, and to spend time with friends whom I consider family.
In the fall, I again hoped that I could go somewhere, but, not having found a job (and I applied to 6 different ones!), I was almost to the point of thinking it wasn't going to happen. What I had wanted to do was to spend Christmas vacation on the East coast with my relatives. I hadn't seen my four grandparents, my other relatives, and friends from my parents' home church, in a year and a half/two years and really wanted to spend time with all of them. Again, God surprised me by having my relatives offer to cover my expenses! My time on the East coast was really nice and it was fun to have a white Christmas again (which I definitely would not have had if I had staid in California) =)
During this semester, at different particularly hard times when I really wanted to be in Portugal to be there for my family, God gave me two trips in nature with great people. I was able to go to Santa Barbara where I got to see and walk in the ocean, saw friends who had lived in Portugal, and went to a The Way Much concert; then I got to go up in the mountains with the TCK group on my campus. I really love the ocean and the mountains. I adore nature in general, really. It's healing, refreshing, it gives me peace, it reminds me God's got everything in control and everything's going to be okay. And it was SO nice to spend time with friends.
And now, this past weekend, after a year and a half being away, I went back to Chicago to visit many friends whom I consider family and to be there for my old roommate's wedding! Again, I did not think I was going to be able to go because of finances, but one of my best friends in Chicago raised the money for me (unbeknown to be) in less than a week and bought my ticket for me! It was ever so nice to be back in Chicago! So, in the last 7 months or so I have been able to go back to all of the places I call home (Italy, Pennsylvania, and Chicago), other than where my parents live, and it has only been possible thanks to God's wonderful provision!
Our God does want to challenge us, correct us, and help us grow, but that's what all parents do! He is our Father who wants the best for us and it does upset Him when we mess our lives up or do something wrong. But He wants to help us. God created us with emotions, feelings, and because He loves us so much, He desires to bless us by giving us little pleasures and joys that He knows are what our hearts truly need. God knew that during this time of change and moving I needed to have time with my families and see my homes again. How awesome is that?!?
Thank you God for taking care of me!
How can I NOT trust my God who knows everything that's best for me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment