I hate crying on my own, I hate crying in front of others, but there's something about crying with someone else that feels good. Maybe it's the fact of giving some sort of support to another in need...I don't know. During orientation I cried with one of the girls when she told me about her friend who hung himself about 2 months ago and tonight I cried with Bethany and Hannah when they started talking about their brothers being in Iraq.
Can you believe that half of the people in Project 12 (10 people) have relatives and friends in Iraq?? And I had no idea that now, since the U.S. is in war, the military can keep soldiers over there longer than they should. So some people that should have served for only two years have now been there for three and aren't completely sure when they're gonna get to go back home! That's horrible.
Speaking of war, almost every time we have movie and discussion night (which was tonight) we have the discussion about wether or not it's right to kill another person. Some say that it's right if you're defending your life or the life of others while others say that we must turn the other cheek and die instead of killing.
These are a few things that were pointed out by different people on what we find in the Bible:
* One of the Commandments are "Thy shall not kill"
* God ordered people in the Bible to kill thousands of people.
* Jesus says to love your enemies
* Jesus says to turn the other cheek
That's just so confusing to me...but as Ami said this night, not everything is black and white and it's impossible for us to completely understand the Bible and God. She also said that our concept of death and God's concept of death are two different things.
I hate how so many things are beyond our understanding.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Just read your blog about death. I was excited about your discussion on Jesus and killing. The passage where Jesus says to turn the other cheek always puzzled me for it seemed like he was saying just let someone run over you or be mean. My work with abuse told me that didn't seem right. What I had read about Jesus at other places just didn't fit with this. Especially from a man who called the religious leaders of his day snakes and turned over tables in the local house of worship causing havoc. A man, Walter Wink gave me some insight into this confusion. Wink did some work on the culture at Jesus' time to sort through all three parts of that passage Matt 5:38-41. See: www.futurenet.org/20spirituality/wink.htm I'll post you our shortened version. Aunt Mary
look at my hair :D I have a mohawk! :D
Post a Comment