Well, I'm coming to the last weeks of teaching at Cornerstone Academy. It's funny how I went from working at the Cornerstone Community Outreach homeless shelter in Chicago and the Cornerstone Festival in Bushnell, Illinois (only in July) to working at Cornerstone Academy in Portugal.
Another funny thing is that I lived at JPUSA (pronounced Jah-Poo-sah) in Chicago and now will be moving to Azusa in California at the end of the summer. I often will be talking to my mom and get the two names mixed up!
So anyways, it'll be strange not teaching my students anymore, but I'm getting really excited (and a little nervous) about moving to California at the end of the summer and starting my first semester at university.
People have been telling me that they're sure I'm going to go through a lot of culture shock, not just because I'm going back to the States, but also because I'll be going to California. I personally don't think it'll be that bad...but that's what I thought when I was moving to Portugal and it ended up being a little harder than I expected (though it was more the shock of being away from all my close friends whom I lived with in Chicago rather than being shocked by the Portuguese culture). I guess it will be very different because I've never been on the West side of the United States, BUT the good thing is that I do know some people in the area, AND Azusa has a weekly International chapel and a Third Culture Kid network on campus, so I'm sure that those will be really good. I've actually recently heard from a new friend that he knows someone who is part of the TCK Network at Azusa and that he loves being part of the group.
The stage I'm at right now university-wise is waiting to see if I got any of the scholarships I applied for and waiting to see what courses my counselor suggests for me to take this first semester. Fortunately, I can be a pretty patient person, so I'm being able to just wait and not think about it too much. The amazing thing is that most of my tuition is already covered by scholarships and a little bit of loans from the school! So, I only have $5,000 that I need to come up with on my own, which isn't a small number, but put next to the total $35,000, it's nothing!
Therefore, right now I wait. And pray. And hope to somehow get the/most of the $5,000 from the different scholarships I've applied to. I trust in God that I'll somehow find it.
On the other hand, my family is slowly emptying out our house, moving things down to the Algarve (southern Portugal) every other week, and putting our landlords' stuff back to its original place. It's kind of weird.
A lot of changes are happening here right now! Some other international families in the area are moving, too. So, the church is really changing, my family's really changing, I'm really changing.
And change is good.
Oh yeah, speaking about me changing, we had a nice birthday party for me on Sunday, May 2nd. I turned 21 on May 5th.
I was surprised that certain people came to the party and I was also surprised that certain other people didn't come, but the group was perfect. We had a really nice time talking, laughing, eating, praying, crying together. My birthday present from everyone was a big birthday card that everyone wrote in and money for me to go to Italy for a summer trip! I haven't been to Italy for almost 3 years now, so I'm really excited about going! I hoped that I would be able to see my friends and one of my home countries again before I left to go back to the States. (Wow, that's really weird for me to say "I'm going back to the States"! All my life I always said "I'm going back to Europe"...anyway...). Then, my parents asked for people to share what they thought of me, and afterward they all prayed for me. I was actually really surprised and touched by all that people said about me! Most of my friends said that I've really changed since I left for Chicago almost three years ago and I think the two things that really stood out to me of all the different things they said, were the fact that they see me as a very joyful and strong person. Those are definitely two words that you would not have chosen to describe me before I left Italy, so that's really cool!
And now my friends, I will leave you with a slide show of a few pictures from my party. Enjoy =)
Okay, the slide show isn't working...I guess I'll just post some of the best pictures that were taken. You can click on them to see them better.
Jasmin and Me
Isaac (my brother), Marcia, and me

Me and Marcos (We met on the bus and take the bus together almost everyday. I know most of my Portuguese thanks to him 'cause he doesn't speak any English)

Everyone praying for me

My Parents and João and me (he's like a brother to me)
Have a great weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment