Wednesday night I went to the high school play which was a lot of fun. I love our high schoolers! They performed "A Murder Is Announced" by Agatha Christie. Here are a few pictures that you can click on to see better. I loved Alana's costumes (she's the one in the red costumes and the green costume)!


Thursday night I hung out with Betty, a friend of ours who goes to Moody Collage who lived at JPUSA last summer, and a friend of hers that goes to school with her. It was so nice to go out! I hadn't really hung out outside of the house for a while and the weather was GREAT!! I got so excited about the warmth (50/65 degrees F, which is actually 10/18 degrees C) and thought that Spring was finally here!
Friday I went to the South Side with two ladies that live at JPUSA. We went to see Maya Angelou at the Warnes' (my friend Michael's family) church and sat with Claire and Karen (Michael's sister and mother). I couldn't believe how old and fragile-looking Maya Angelou is, but although she had to sit because of her bad knees, the way she spoke and the things she said showed how strong of a woman she is! It was great!
Sunday....Well, first off, it snowed! And I don't mean just light fluffy snow slowly floating from the sky, I mean A LOT of crazy snow falling and blowing all over the place! It looked really beautiful, but unfortunately, my roommate and a few other people in the community had to run a 5 mile race in it downtown!
I, however, got to stay inside all day and have a very relaxing and nice day. =)
Church was good. Neil preached and I always love it when he preaches. He talked about a lot of things that I've heard before, but that were so refreshing to hear again. He talked about how being in community (in an intentional community like ours, in a church, in your family, etc.) you learn a lot about yourself and realize that dealing with others isn't always easy and that, most of the time, the main problem in community is actually yourself! That's why grace and forgiveness need to be at the core of community. Being Christians means to fallow Jesus, and the main thing Jesus did was to forgive others (including us!), so we need to do the same. Neil also said that we need to have more pic-nics, 'cause they're good for community =)
(A lot of what he preached actually comes from Jean Vanier's "Community And Growth", which he teaches a class on. It's a really good book!)
Sunday afternoon I also got to see the movie Mirror Mask for the first time and enjoyed it. It's really weird and creative and it really does make you feel like you're in a dream.
Finally, on Monday (yesterday), Carolyn and I (with Hannah's help, too) organized a Princess Party for all the single women in the house! We made all kinds of fun mini food for it! We made mini queches, little cucumber sandwiches, mini cranberry and walnut tarts, mini scones, mini pizzas, and mini cupcakes! We also had a variety of teas and Carolyn made some kind of drink with ginger ale and cranberry juice. And of course we all dressed up like princesses! It was all a lot of fun!
In between our party, we had to stop and go downstairs to the community's Women's Gathering which was SO GOOD! The worship was just fantastic and then Dawn Mortimer (the "founding mother" of JPUSA) spoke a little.
Then, once the meeting was over, all us princesses went back upstairs and watched Enchanted, which, if you haven't seen it, is a really fun movie that you should watch.
Here are a few pictures from last night...Enjoy! =)
No comments:
Post a Comment