Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I'm The Old-Fashioned One Now

When I was in middle school, my classmates and I thought our 40 something year old teacher was so old-fashioned. Today, I am a 21 year old middle school teacher and my students think I'm old-fashioned!
When I was about 12 years old, my class thought Professora Fontana was old-fashioned because she had us read a book on teenagers who were super shy with each other and in which it was a really big deal when a girl and a guy were alone and they were hardly able to speak to each other. We thought the book was so silly because to us it wasn't a big deal if a boy and a girl were alone and we thought it was natural that they would kiss. "Profe Fontana" was also really shocked when we watched Save The Last Dance and the people in the club in the movie were dancing on each other very sexually. My friends and I thought our teacher exaggerated a little on these subjects and we accepted certain things as being the way things are.
Now, I'm the teacher who doesn't want to watch Titanic with my 6th and 7th graders, even though some of them have already seen it, because I don't feel it necessary to watch a movie with sex scenes in it at school with my kids. And I'm the one telling my 12 year old students that I don't think they should read the Twilight series 'cause even I had uncomfortable moments when reading those books last year. But my students think I'm silly and that I'm exaggerating...
Ah, well....
At least my students are nowhere near as bad as kids in my school when I was their age. These kids still have some innocence in them. Thank God!

No comments: