Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Quotes From First Graders

I have to say, in my life so far, I have had really interesting jobs and have so many funny and crazy stories from each of them. My first (volunteer) job was when I was 13/14 at a snack bar at the Skate Park my parents helped open with a Swiss missionary couple in Italy, down the street from us. My second (volunteer) job was helping my parents out at the different music festivals they've organized (Rock on the Rock and Rock on Christmas). The first Rock on the Rock was, I think, when I was 13 or 14 and I only helped out by selling two bands' (East West and Rick Cua) merchandise. Then, for the other festivals, I managed the merchandise for all the bands and translated for people (from English to Italian and vice versa) and ran around helping people out at various different things. My first (and pretty much only) paying job was giving private English lessons to several Italian people who were a lot older than me when I was 17/18 (I used the money to buy my nice laptop, which died last year in November). When I was 18, I was the road manager (and merchandise seller, and camera girl, and cook) on a one-month European tour my dad organized with two bands (Triplet and Reform the Resistance). And when I was 18-20 I had various different job positions in a homeless shelter in Chicago (for this, I wasn't getting paid, but I got free housing, board and any other necessities). Finally, for the last 9 months, I have been a half volunteer school teacher at a small international Christian school. Today was actually my last day teaching there!
I really enjoyed teaching the high school and the middle school, but I have to say that the funniest class is the first grade (I only had two boys). I wish I could remember all the different funny things they've told/asked me, but I can't. Nevertheless, here are some quotes from the last few months that I remember.

- L: "Do mermaids exist?" (He looked pretty sad after I told him no...)

- L: "I like pears, but they taste like oil"

- L & A: "Does Abraham Lincoln live in Portugal?" (They were very surprised when I told them that Abraham Lincoln is actually not alive anymore...)

- (a conversation between them while playing) L :"Why is your guy fallowing my guy?"
A : "'Cause I want to be a bad guy, too! I'm always the good guy!"
L:"But there can't be a bad guy without a good guy!"
A :".....Can't they just be normal people?"

- A : "Where were you born?"
me: "In the States"
A : "You mean Texas or America?"

- L: "Is your dad dead?"
Me: "What?!? Umm no...Why are you asking me that?"
L: "'Cause I haven't seen him in a while"

- After telling the boys that we are going to start recycling paper so that people can reuse it to make more paper, this is what L told me: "Why would we want to do that? How can you use paper that's already drawn on?"

- While on a field trip one of the other teachers (who's Canadian) said: "Ok, we're going to go on a two hour tour so you guys should probably use the washroom, it's down there."
L: "What would we do in there?"

- L: "I think my legs are burnt. You know, what happens is that your hair on your legs gets burnt and then the hair goes inside your skin, so then your hair is shorter and your skin is burnt"

- L: "Why is it that when girls grow up tall and are moms they have fat legs?"

- In chapel, another teacher asked the kids, "How do you train yourself spiritually?"
L answered, "You eat a lot?"

- Me: "Do you boys know what a mediator is?"
L: "Yeah, it's a thing that comes down from space"

- L: "I always do that sometimes"


I will miss teaching at CornerStone Academy. =)

No comments: