These last two years have been pretty difficult and very busy. They have been a mixture of extreme work, heartbreak, disappointment, failure, but also joy. Somehow, in all my busy-ness, I often lost focus on so many things, and I somewhat lost myself as well.
It's very strange and sad to look at the last posts I had written before disappearing from the blogging world and seeing that I wrote, both on here and in my personal journal, about goals and beliefs that I ended up disregarding since then. I let myself focus on the wrong things (e.g. finances, wrong friends, wrong things to feed myself with physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually). My hopes and expectations also did not quite turn out as I had planned. Relationships with certain people ended or did not go as I thought, studying abroad in South Africa and in Israel did not work out, and I did not do so well in some classes.
But these years haven't been all bad. I did have many fun and joyful times with others and I did stick to my values. In addition, by speaking with friends, I have found out that even with all this junk going on, God somehow worked through me to bless others!
I have often been the person who friends, coworkers, and supervisors have come to to share their struggles, pains, and secrets with. Many have told me that I have been a true friend to them when others have not, that I encouraged and inspired them through my hardships, and that they are so thankful to be friends with a person like me. I have realized that the deep, intentional and meaningful friendships I have made in the last six years or so during my time in Chicago, Portugal, and here in Azusa (California) are not normal to others. Therefore, some people are both taken aback and attracted to me because I genuinely care about them, pray for them and ask them how they are doing (and actually really want to know); I keep myself up to date on the important things going on in their lives, and I have deeper conversations with them than they are used to having. Hearing all of this from many different people has been a great encouragement to me. I didn't realize I had that affect on those around me and I am so thankful that God was able to work through me in that way, even when I felt at my lowest. He truly is amazing!
These years have also taught me that
I am stronger than I think I am and than I used to be. I now know what I
need and what choices not to make again and what is important for me to
focus on.Instead of waiting for things to change and get better I need to take initiative. It's going to be a longer process than I'd like it to be, but I think I will eventually be able to meet all of my goals.
My goals are to:
*be more intentional and take initiative in the friendships I know are important in my life
*become more motivated and caught up in my studies here at Azusa Pacific University
*go to doctors to figure out how to solve different health issues I have, find solutions and implement them, and start working out on a regular basis
*be more intentional in my relationship with God by having daily time of reading Scripture and prayer
*make sure to take time to do the things I love to do but that I have not done in way too long (such as writing, photography, decorating [I'm embarrassed to admit that my home, which I moved into in June, is still looking quite plain], swing dancing, and hiking). This reminds me, I need to start saving up so I can buy myself a proper camera to give myself as a graduation present in May 2014.
*enjoy life now and stop thinking about the future
I have had these goals for quite some time, but I haven't really taken much initiative towards them.
It is difficult to keep a good balance of everything that is important in life while going through college, but that is not an excuse for not trying.
So far, since the beginning of 2013, I have been pretty good with my first goal. It can be hard at times, but it's very rewarding.
Now I need to get to my other goals. Hopefully I will be able to accomplish all of them by the end of May. I feel like having them published on here will motivate me more to actually make sure that I get them done.
Prayers will be much appreciated to support me in accomplishing my goals!
"Resetting" my life feels pretty good =)
P.S. I need to update this blog and I'd like your suggestions!
What would be a good new blog address? I don't want "thatweirdblondgirl" anymore. Can you believe I made that six years ago?!
I need some suggestions for new names. I haven't been able to come up with one that is not already taken. Thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment