Friday, April 10, 2009

Is It Crazy Men Day, Per Chance?

Ok, so today I've encountered 3 crazy men (not that that's weird, but these guys were pretty entertaining)...

The first one (whom I've seen before) was a skinny old white man who was waiting for the light to change (as was I) on the sidewalk across from me. He was wearing kelly green pants, a long cream colored coat, an American flagged scarf, sun glasses, winter gloves and a crocheted baby pink beanie with a pom pom on top (for your information, it wasn't super cold outside). Right after I stopped at the edge of the sidewalk ('cause the light had just changed) he lifted his arms up and started to shake his glove covered hands. He did this while staring at me and I could not figure out why. He then stopped for a few seconds before going back to shaking his hands. When the light finally changed, he stopped and we passed each other while crossing the street.

The second man (whom I've also seen before) is a crazy drunk and almost completely toothless Nigerian who's been barred from our shelter, but keeps trying to convince Sandy, the director, that he didn't do anything and that he should be let back into our shelter. Today, he sat down next to Sandy (who was folding our newsletter and putting it into envelopes) in an area that is in front of my desk and talked to her for about two hours. I giggled a lot. Especially when he started telling her that his mom is a millionaire back in Africa and that he's taken care of, but that he still needs to stay in our shelter. I wish I had a video of the whole thing! Sandy is such a patient and funny person!

The third man (whom I've never seen before) came in to the office telling me all this stuff about himself and asking me to help him with all kinds of different things (clothes, food, a phone call, being able to visit his mentally ill lady in her nursing home, etc). I kept telling him that I could not help him, but that if he went down the hallway, through the door, and asked for Lydell, he's our case worker for single men and he could help him. The guy kept looking at me (well, not at my face...) and just kept repeating everything over and over. I could tell that he wasn't exactly all there mentally either and that he didn't believe me and wanted ME to help his every need. He was a very weird man. Thankfully, I finally concinved him to go find Lydell and he slowly left my office, looking back at me every few steps...I hope he got help.

Men in Uptown Chicago sure are interesting!

No comments: