Saturday, February 16, 2008

Lessons and Weekends

Sunday was Kriss' birthday (she's my mentor) and after we had our One on One time (which we have every week after church) she invited me to go out with her and her husband to get her present and then to hang out at Starbucks. It was really nice and I was so happy that I got to do that with them cuz I kept telling Kriss that I wanted to do something with her and her husband! Sometimes I feel like Kriss is like my psychologist or something and I hate that...I want us to be friends, I want to get to know her and I want to get to know her husband (we always need to kick him out when we have our meetings so I've never really gotten to know him).
We just finished our Accountability class which I really liked. I have the tendency to find a person that I really connect with and then confide in that one person only and become really close to them. Then, after a while, me and that person slowly "detach" and I find another person to "latch on to". I really don't like it and think that it's really odd...but anyways, in my accountability class, Tom (one of our pastors...most of our Project 12 teachers are actually pastors of JPUSA) told us how we need to be accountable to someone if we want to really change and make sure that we don't fall (or find out that we are falling) and he also said that it's good to have many people that you are accountable to. So now I'm making sure that I'm having more than one person with whom I'm accountable and that these people are different and have different connections to me. I have Kriss, who is my appointed accountable person, I have Becki who's my family head, and I have different people that I've naturally become good friends with.
Sunday and the days after Sunday I was able to talk to these different people about the different things I was going trough lately and now I feel SO much better =)

Another good thing that happened this week was that I got to meet a young couple who just moved into the shelter and who are on the waiting list for JPUSA. They were SUCH a big encouragement to me. With all the drama and craziness that goes on at the shelter and with all the complaints and seeing the condition in which those people have to live, I tend to feel really sorry for those people and feel kind of a burden for them. This couple, however, told me how our shelter is the best shelter they've ever seen. They said that they were at a shelter which many people had told them was the best and that place only has little mats to sleep on in a big room and they make you leave at 8am with all your stuff. Our shelter, instead, has real beds and each person/family has a little bit of privacy (a room or a cubicle) and these people live there. That was really really nice to hear. Also, one day during this week, I was asked to go through the surveys that were given to all the people that live at the shelter and type in a word document what the people had answered to the questions "what would you change about the shelter?" and "what do you like or don't like about the shelter?". Reading the answers to those questions was also uplifting to me. Sure, there were a few people that didn't like the shelter, and some of the single women wrote some crazy stuff (a lot of them have mental problems though), but most of it was positive. It made me smile =)

Today was a really nice day =) It was sunny out and Carolyn, Hannah, Amanda Sue, Betty and I went to Devon Avenue, which is the Indian part of town. The things in the shops were so beautiful and the Avenue smelled really yummy. A few days ago I decided to just say yes to the India trip. It's going to be great, I'm sure!!!
After Devon, we went to a tea and coffee shop where I was finally able to buy a bunch of different good teas!!! I'm so happy!!! =)
Once we got back, Bethany and I made a really good dinner together! The highlight of the feast was the tuna steaks which Bethany found in the donation room yesterday!! They were so good!! After that we watched a total girls movie and had fun.
How nice it is to just relax and have fun during the weekend!!! =)

1 comment:

whitney said...

Hey Whitney

Just found you from Baba's blog in Portugal. And I just wanted to say hi to the only other Whitney I have ever met!!!! At least via a blog!!!

God bless you Sister in Christ....