Monday, August 4, 2008

Crazy Thunderstorm!

This evening at about 8:15pm it started really pouring outside and the thunder and lightning were super loud. One really loud one made me jump and skip a heart beat! About ten minutes later we heard a howling outside and my roommate thought it was the wind (but we later found out that it had been a tornado siren). Then, at about 8:35 the power went out in our whole building (10 floors with a lot of little kids and seniors that were probably really scared by it). Betty and I went to stay in Becky's room who had candles. It was really funny 'cause the guys in our family ran up to Becky's room to make sure that her and the kids were alright (Matt's away) and then they all ran to the beach to watch the storm over the lake! During the first half hour that the power was out, Becky, her kids, me, Betty, Max and Melissa hung out in Becky and Matt's room munching on popcorn (that had been made before the power had gone out) and cookie dough (which we had wanted to bake, but we obviously couldn't anymore) and had fun telling stories and joking around. Betty called her mom (who lives about 2 hours away from Chicago) and found out that a tornado hit a family friend's house and destroyed it (the owners were safe though) and someone told us that there was a tornado downtown Chicago. The power did come back on for about two minutes, but then turned back off for another half hour again. Meanwhile, the storm had stopped.
Now, it's 11:21 and the storms been back for a half an hour and it's really thundering and raining hard! I hope the power doesn't go out again. That's the first time that's happened to me since I've been here. (Used to happen ALL the time at my parents' house in Italy, though)
I love storms! My mom says it's 'cause I was born in one =)

Ok, gotta go to bed. Night!

P.S. It looks like I've finally broken my trusty old travel alarm clock! Poor thing...It's still on, you can set the alarm and turn it on and off, but you can't set the time on it...and at the moment it says that it's 12:14pm, when it's 11:38pm...I guess I'll just have to use my cell phone now...which I hate doing...

P.P.S. Now it's Tuesday and I found this picture that someone took during the storm last night on a news website. Check it out!

No comments: