Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thinking About The Present And The Future...

Thanksgiving went well. I spent time with my parents and relatives from my dad's side of the family. I also got to see a few friends, which I was really glad about! Two ladies I got to spend an afternoon with actually hadn't seen me since the time when I was in the States with my family for a Mission's Conference when I was 16 and still going through my depression! So they asked me a lot of questions about what I'm doing and how life in Chicago is, etc. And they told me that I look so happy and that I'm emanating light and glowing. It really touched me to hear that. It was nice to be reminded of how much God has done for me in the last 3 years!
And yes, I am definitely happy!
It is a little sad sometimes to think that I'll be leaving this place a little more than half a year from now, but I'm also really excited about it! I was definitely not made to live in the States and a big city! So I can't wait to go to Europe, see my friends, eat good food, and be in nature again! Not that I haven't been in nature at all in the year and 3 months that I've been here, but it certainly wasn't enough for me.
Another thing I'll be glad to leave is the shelter. It's funny how, when I moved here I really wanted to work at the shelter and was so excited about it. But after some months, I was already realizing that it wasn't what I thought it was going to be like and that it's not exactly something for me. You have to have a lot of patience and grace and, at the same time, be a person that can confront people and be firm. I'm none of that.
I've stuck with it, though, 'cause the shelter really needs me (and a lot more people that we don't have) and I know that God has me here for a reason (probably to learn to be more patient, to have more grace, and to be firm). But it's very tiring. Most of the people I deal with have mental problems, are very irritating, are liars, are ungrateful, and mean to their kids (especially their babies and toddlers!). I only get a few good people every once in a while...
I know I shouldn't be complaining about it, 'cause we're supposed to serve these people, just like Jesus did, but after dealing with this over and over again, I've gotten very tired. And I do believe that this is a job that is for people who are cut out for it.
Other than my job, however, I really love living at JPUSA. I love the people, I love the fact that there's always something going on, I love the complete honesty I have with my friends, and I love our church, which is the first church I've felt comfortable in.

So yeah, I'm in a pretty good place right now =)

No comments: