Today I got invited to a girl's 19th birthday party. It surprised me to get an invitation from her 'cause I hardly ever hang out with her...It always surprises me to find out how many people actually like me and care about me. I realize this whenever I come home from being away for a little bit and people that I would never think would realize that I've been away, come up to me and say "Welcome back! We missed you! How are you?" and they really mean it.
Anyways...I went to the party, and the girl's sister (who's a few years older than me) was there. I had never really talked to her and was hoping to get to know her since she decided to do Project 12 this year. Unfortunately, she had to quit P12 after a few months due to her health conditions.
Her and I talked for 2 hours this afternoon, during the birthday party, and I'm really glad I did! She told me about all of her different illnesses that she's had ever since she can remember, and which keep getting worse the older she gets. She's anemic, asthmatic, has fibromialgia, she has some kind of condition that makes her sweat all the time, she has some kind of problem with the muscles in her face and throat which sometimes provent her to speak, smile and swallow. She said she used to go swimming and that she loved it, but then she had to stop 'cuase she got some kind of infection that would contaminate the water if she went in it. Her dream is to travel, to go to collage, to have a job, her own house, a dog, and to serve God. That's all she wants. But she can't do any of those things right now, 'cause she can hardly go up a flight of stairs and can't lift things, or get off the floor if she falls. Also, the medication for her muscle condition has made her gain tons of weight and has led to her having diabetes. And she has so many more problems that she couldn't remember. So, for now, she lives on our 7th floor, hardly ever gets out of her room or the building, except for when she goes to the doctor, and spends most of her time with her parents, sister, and a few friends that come to visit her every once in a while.
Again, I felt guilty of not realizing how blessed I am...but I didn't feel sad. It was hard to be sad when she was so happy! She just emanated happiness and strength and I loved the way she talked about life, about God, about the things she likes...She's such a beautiful person!
I told her I would come and visit her again. I want to make sure that I do that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment