Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Little Fire

Yesterday evening at around 9 pm some dumb person went down in our shelter's basement to smoke a cigarette and then threw the cigarette away causing a little fire. Everyone was evacuated and no one got hurt. The fire department was quick and so the fire caused little damage. While the firemen extinguished the little fire, the people that were in the building stayed in the Hannah House (our building right across the street) dining room. Sandy (the director of the shelters) was ready to have them all sleep in there, but after a few hours, the people were all allowed back in to Sylvia Center (the building I work in, which had the fire).
Unfortunately, the new desk I was supposed to get a month ago was among the casualties =(

I find this article hillarious. Everyone in the office was laughing about it because the policemen showed up late and yet they are the heroes in the article and they're the only ones that ended up in the hospital because they inhaled the smoke.

I'm SO glad that my office didn't get any smoke in it. It would be horrible to have to work in an office that smells like cat pee AND smoke! (I think I mentioned before how my office got flooded a few weeks ago and smells like cat pee) The stairs, however, smell like smoke really bad.

No comments: