Sunday, July 5, 2009

Back From The Fest

Oh man! I am SO HAPPY TO BE HOME!!! I'm so glad to have my bathroom and my bed and my room and walls that keep rain out and and well my normal life back!

Down at the Fest (Cornerstone) I was hardly able to enjoy the nature. As soon as I got down there I started to work and was pretty much busy most of the week!

The week before I went down it had been more than a hundred degrees (close to 40 degrees C) every day. A big storm hit, however, the night before I came down and helped the temperature to drop to a better climate. So, the first two days I was down there it was about 80 degrees (26 C) and really nice! Unfortunately, the rest of the week was cloudy and in the 60s (15 degrees C), but hey, that's better than 100+, though I would have preferred to have been prepared and have brought warmer clothes. Then, on the last day it POURED and I was so mad at myself for deciding not to bring my boots! (As you can see in this picture, however, a lot of people had fun playing in the mud. Some of these kids are JPUSAs =) )
Other than the weather problems, I had a good time and got to see a lot of good bands and speakers.

My favorite speaker that I got to see was definitely Richard Twiss who is from the Rosebud Lakota/Sioux tribe. He spoke about how so many people think that you are only Christian if you do it the "white way" and told us how, if you go on a reservation almost all the churches will be completely white, with no native culture in them. He told us that this is wrong, that people should be able to experience and live their faith in their own culture and how he is able to experience Jesus through tribal traditions. I would definitely love to see their ministry!

My job at the festival was helping Ami and Brian run the Project 12/Grr stage. Fortunately, almost all the bands I wanted to see played at our tent! I got to see Josh Garrels, our amazing friend Jonni Greth, my good friends Lasso the Salt (you can see a video here), I'm Not A Pilot (who I discovered at one of our coffee houses and who have Ami singing background vocals), beautiful Ami's band The Unfortunate (here you can hear some of her songs which now have a little bit of a different sound), my friend and old neighbor Max's band (here's a video), and The Crossing (another JPUSA band who are a lot of fun). The only band I really wanted to see that didn't play at our stage was mewithoutYou who played at main stage. I don't like going to main stage 'cause it's so huge and isn't personal at all since you just see little people on a big stage and whatever the camera people put on the screen. However, I still really enjoyed it. In fact, when I got back to work, my friend Betty who was also working with me, told me that I was glowing and that she could really see that I was pleased. =)
Oh yeah, and of course, I got to enjoy Maron at our stage. They're great to watch 'cause the whole time you can see how much fun they're having. And, well, my friend Scott is simply insane.

I live with SO MANY talented people!

It's weird to think that in less than a month this isn't going to be home for me anymore....

Here's a funny video you should check out where people went around asking festival attendants what JPUSA is. (Jesus People USA is where I live and we're the community that organize the festival)

(The pictures in this post are from the Cornerstone Festival website)

No comments: