Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Why Do I Even Bother Reading The News???

Almost everyday when I look at the BBC NEWS website there's something that makes my throat tighten from anger, my heart sink from sadness, or my stomach revolt after reading really sickening stories. Sometimes I don't even know why I look, why I read.
A few weeks ago, on Tuesday, May 27, I read these two articles, Abuse victims suffer in silence and Peacekeepers abusing children, which both talk about the same story in Africa. Reading this made me so mad. I couldn't believe it!!
Then, today, I read Malnutrition getting worse in India which made me so sad and want to just go to India and give those children everything I have and feed them and take care of them! It makes me so frustrated that I can't help them!!!
I also read something else today, but I'm not going to post it because it was just too sickening and wrong.
Why do these things happen in this world? How can people be so evil, so careless?? I just don't get it and it makes me want to cry.

And then I look at my room and at all the stuff I have. I frequently ask myself, "Do I need all of this? Really?" Of course I don't!
I often have the urge of getting almost all of it, putting it in a bag and either putting it as an Up 4 Grabs in the house or giving it to the shelter (as if people in the house and the free store at the shelter needed extra stuff). But then I tell myself to not do it and to just sort the things I use and the things I don't and give away the second pile. I then usually reassure myself that once I move out of here I will get rid of most of my stuff since I plan on traveling a lot, and having all this stuff would only be an inconvenience. It does make me feel better when I see how much more stuff my friends' have, though.
Wow, I'm so terrible.
I find it funny that all of us at JPUSA are considered being under the United States' poverty level when all of us have all that we need and more.

And there goes another siren outside...

3 comments:

Donna H. said...

Dear Whitney,
Hi! Yours is the first blog spot I ever attempted to read, and I found it revealing! I appreciate your genuine willingness to examine yourself in light of what you see going on in the rest of the world--that's a very healthful reaction because such introspection is often the basis of the Lord's revealing something amiss in our lives. Go for it, Whitney! Love in Jesus, (Mrs.)Donna Hurley, Lancaster, PA
P.S. I just gave Krista and Maria your blog spot, too!

Whitney said...

Thank you Donna!
I hope you and your family are doing well =)

Anonymous said...

I see you're wearing the scarf from Portugal in your new pic! :o)

~mph