I know that last night was a historical night and that I had the chance to be part of it, but I didn't.
I was invited to someone's house for dinner (where we had so much fun and had really good food!) and when I got back I was really tired so I read a bit and went to bed. I fell asleep assuming that Obama had won since the latest news I had heard was that it was pretty much impossible for McCain to win.
When I woke up this morning, I then asked my roommate who won and how it had been downtown. She was pretty surprised that I hadn't stayed up to at least find out if he had won for sure and she said that being downtown with more than a million people was surreal! She said she had never imagined what it could be like being in a crowd that big and said that it was kind of like being at a football game with the whole crowd chanting and cheering for the home team. She also said that there was a lot of security (there were guards checking everyone's bags and they didn't let anyone have drinks) , but that everyone was being good and polite and no one went crazy (though there were firemen there in case a riot broke out). I'm sure it would have been a great experience, but I don't regret not going. As I said before, I was invited to someone's house and I was tired. Plus, I don't know how well I would have done standing for hours in such a big crowd.
Anyways, I'm sure that God wouldn't have let him be president for no reason!
The two things I am really excited about are: 1. the war coming to a close (hopefully) and 2. giving more hope to black people. I really hope that having a black president will now help our black youth to have a little more confidence in themselves and have hope and inspiration.
It's crazy how it's taken us this long to finally elect a black president! Not that I think people should have voted for him just 'cause he's black, but this is (hopefully) going to change things a bit.
It's also sweet that, according to BBC News, "the US election seems to be a unifying moment for the country [Kenya], with people reported to be saying that Mr Obama's victory is a victory for all Kenyans."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment