It's getting chilly and windy and a lot of people are getting excited about the cold coming...I'm not one of them. I love fall and winter in northern Italy/Europe, 'cause the mountains are beautiful, the fall leaves and the snow are so pretty and it's nice when you're dressed warm and go for a walk in the autumn woods or in the snow and then you come back to a nice warm (not HOT) house. Fall and winter in the city, however, aren't so beautiful, except for when it's snowing. As I've said before, I think snow can make anything look nice. Also, I don't like having to wear layers and going from warm, to cold, to hot, etc. (the layers are too heavy inside and too light outside).
I actually miss wearing long sleeved shirts, I miss going chest-nut picking (though I never liked to eat them), going in the woods to get fire wood and then making a fire, taking walks with Maya, our dog...I hope I can go to the U.P. (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) at some point before summer. That's where Hannah's from and it sounds wonderful!
Right now I just want to go home, curl up on my couch with a blanket, a cup of hot tea, something chocolaty and read a book. But, alas, I have work to do. A lot of it.
Oooh I should watch Chocolat with someone tonight!
Right now, we have a girl from Germany who's here as an intern for a few months. She's supposed to be helping Jed with BSU (Brothas and Sistas United) which is our after-school program for the kids in the neighborhood, but yesterday morning and today she was given to me 'cause Jed's not here. Now I'm having her do stuff that Taryn (who used to be at the desk I'm at now) had me do a year ago when I first got here!
It's funny how, when I figure out that someone doesn't speak English very well, I automatically switch to my speaking-to-a-foreigner mode (I speak slower and pronounce words better and differently). I get it from my mom =)
It's also funny how I get kind of protective over shy, soft spoken people and people who don't understand the language being spoken. It's probably because I've been that person many times and know how frustrating it is. So I tend to speak up for these people or try to help them understand what's being said. I tend to get frustrated with people who are loud and don't let others talk, and with people who don't help foreigners understand what's being said...but I need to get it that not everyone is like me or can relate.
Unfortunately, I can't say that I'm as helpful and patient towards very immature (and sometimes a little mentally unstable) people. There happen to be a few of these kinds of people in this year's Project 12 class. Thankfully, I'm not the only one with this struggle, which actually isn't a good thing, but it makes me feel better.
I think I might have a hard time with immature people because they remind me of my classmates in middle school who were horrible to me. I wish kids didn't have to go through middle school...
Oh God help us all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment